Thursday, April 13, 2017

Bowen Hiking 27: Bowen Resting

Jan 5-22, 2016

Well the next two weeks of January were kind of a wash.  I caught Colin's cold.  Not coincidentally, it was right after I felt a lot of guilt over "not doing enough" and making plans to go off-island on my own (for lunch and perhaps a little hike in West Van).  Hmm....  Coincidence??  Or just my system yelling, "WOAH HORSEY!!!"   ;)

My body just said NOPE! to all that.  So, for a week, I couldn't make it past my driveway.

I took a cue from my little Buddha statue, and tucked into bed.


The island was coated in the white stuff.  It was beautiful, but...


There were high winds again; and a wind warning was issued for the night with wind chill of -20°C.  So yeah, I wasn't missing much!  ;)

(This comic is by the amazing Canadian artist Cassandra)

On Jan 10, I finally made it up to Artisan Square to buy a rustic baguette.  My dog Rory was happy for the exercise... and the bites of bread he got for waiting like a good boy.  On the way over, Rory tried yet again to get the carrot frozen into the snow. It was still not obtainable, despite his persistence.

Standing at the Square, looking at the snow covered mountains against the crisp blue sky, four ravens circled overhead. I could hear the whhhhhoush whhhhhoush  of their wings moving through the air. I looked over at the trees and huge rocks.  I was really starting to love it here.

I wondered whether my love of this island would be like the love of my dog, which grew more and more, with every passing year of the last decade. He wormed his way deep into my heart.

While I had been stuck inside, sick, he had been cuddled at my side.  He was always trying to make sure I was ok.  Awwww.... what a sweetie!  He's a good dog, Brent.



Colin took care of me too, and made some shortbread cookies.  I asked for some without icing, so he took all that extra icing and made a super-duper-iced cookie for himself.  Can you tell which one that was?  ;)


By Jan 12, I felt well enough to check out the frozen Killarney Lake.  I had been hearing about everyone skating and playing hockey on the various island lakes (Josephine Lake was apparently another popular spot for skating). There were even several reports (aka complaints!) of cars and ATVs driving on the frozen lakes. :o  So even though I still wasn't feeling tip-top, I wanted to get in on the action before the ice melted.


We had to drive, because I didn't think I would make the 5km+ round trip on foot. 


When we were arrived, I was a little disappointed to find only one other person skating around. We chatted briefly.  He had heard that there were cars on the lake recently, and since it had stayed below freezing since then, he figured that meant it was still safe. I laughed, it was the same logic I used.


Out on the lake, I could see the rectangles cleared off for the hockey games.  Some parts were a little uneven, though. "Where are the hosers??" I yelled, grinning at my own joke.


Without any skates, Colin and I simply played pass with a chunk of ice. Colin had fun sliding around on the surface of the ice in his shoes, until I reminded him that I wouldn't be able to carry him back to shore if he fell and broke his leg.  As if in answer, Rory shook himself and ended up spread-eagled on the ice.


A big raptor, what seemed like a Hawk, flew overhead. That was the first raptor we had seen on the island, that wasn't an eagle or a turkey vulture. Sadly, I couldn't identify it.  my best guess was maybe a Sharp Shinned Hawk.


We walked to the beach, located part way around the lake (about 500-600m), to see whether the other side of the lake was also frozen.  At that point, Colin could see I was tiring, so we headed back.







That night was the "Art Crawl" hosted by the Four Corners Cafe and the FotoFilmic//Pulp Gallery, in Snug Cove.  Since they were only about 100m apart, I decided I was well enough to go.

At Four Corners we were the first ones there, and the host, Jay, gave us the full tour. He told us that it was the first of many art crawls he wanted to do. He regaled us with about 45mins of First Nations history of the area, including why there are two Vancouvers (one in BC and one in Washington State).  He was a wealth of knowledge, and I was lapping it up.  He wanted to start a First Nations "story time" and I was all over that!  Although Jay promised us that the art crawl would be a monthly event, I noticed that before the next month came, the Café was all boarded up... (!)  How sad. I guess we will have to wait and see what will be in that space next.

At Pulp, we missed the owner. A sign said "back in 5 mins," but we could see into the gallery through the windows, so we figured that was good enough.

Pulp had just recently (Fall 2016) taken over the space from the Sugar Cube Cabin and Gallery, which had been in that location for many years.  I had been in there many times over the years to admire-- and sometimes buy-- locally made art and crafts.  When I looked into what had occurred, I read that:

"Sugar Cube Cabin and Gallery is having a sabbatical: From Fall 2016, Sugar Cube is being transformed into FotoFilmic//Pulp. Allowing Sugar Cube to continue showing a wide range of BC artists, the fine French sisters are generously hosting the Sugar Cube Satellite Gallery in East Vancouver."

Well, of course I had to check out their new gallery, so I clicked on the link.  The new location was in The Pie Shoppe at 1975 Powell St.  Holy crap that pie shop sounded awesome, for so many reasons!!
Afterwards, we went to Doc Morgan's Pub and had a beer and mexi dip.  Cause nothin' fixes feeling sick like fresh draft beer.  Duff Gardens Huraaaaahhhhhhhh! 


After two days of rain, the carrot was finally free of the snow on Jan 17, and Rory finally ate it.

It would be a few more days before I could get out for a good hike. 




No comments:

Post a Comment